Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Anatomy part 2


So on my last post, Anatomy Pt. 1, I made anatomy seem kind of like a horrible class. Have no fear! Here I am with part 2 to my anatomy class. The short and simple compilations of the great moments in my anatomy lab.


One day, my anatomy teacher pulled out her teeth. Yes her teeth. She only has 9 of her own teeth, the rest are fake and two of them have "crowns" on them to make them bigger. I must admire her for thinking so highly of us as her students and showing them to us. Even our other TA didn't know they were fake. Oh this was a moment that I wished I had a camera with me, as the looks on the students faces (and both of the TAs) were priceless.


There's this really smart guy in my anatomy class, you know the one who always sets the curve really high. While learning about arteries in the body, we came across the gonadal artery. He asked a question to our TA.

David: Okay so I have a question. I've heard this word before but I'm not sure what it is. So what are your gonads?
Our anatomy TA then explained to him what they were (they are reproductive parts, for those who are also wondering). At this point in the class many of us were laughing, but the cherry on top was what one of the not so smart kids in the class said.
Kid I Can't Remember His Name: Dude, even I know what the gonads are. I've known probably since I was 4. 
My friend Jared refers to this story as the Bible story of David and the Gonad.

Every single food has been related to some sort of the body. I went to an open lab and there was a TA there who was telling us the story of when he first took anatomy. He said after every single one of his labs, he wanted to go eat some steak because looking at the muscle reminded him of meat.


My anatomy lecture teacher is seriously amazing. She often tells us stories about her life. She let a tree grow from under her floor and she carved it and turned it into a couch. Many people have family portraits up on their walls, but not Rachel. She took a picture of the Circle of Willis and blew it up at least 400 times its size and it hangs on her wall. She also told us a story of when she went to some foreign country (she also mentioned that she went to this country alone and didn't tell anyone where she went for about a month) and the men in a village had massive scrotums so huge that they pushed wheelbarrows to support and hold up their scrotums. 


How many people can say they've seen what a transvestite looks like on the outside and the inside? This girl can. BYU is lucky to have Bridget who was a male formerly, but then had a sex change. Bridget died of brain cancer, but donated her body to science. 


And my personal favorite. The reproductive system. I totally thought I would be an adult during this lab. Talking about things like this don't gross me out or make me laugh. My mom works at a hospital in the labor and delivery area, so for me, the sex talk was a dinner topic. But my TA was just very interesting. He's married and asked the class who was married. Only one guy raised his hand. So he decided that right then and there while teaching us all the reproductive body parts that he would give the guys some sex advice for things to do and not to do while on their honeymoon. It wasn't quite so much awkward as it was just plain weird. I guess I thought how sex works was a common sense thing. 



And one day in our lecture, Rachel brought in baby cadavers for people to hold. One of these cadavers was a Siamese twin conjoined together at the neck. She had split the Siamese twins apart so you could see each distinct organ for each of the twins. Also this same day, she brought in breast implants. 

Oh anatomy how I won't really miss you that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment