Monday, December 17, 2012

Anatomy pt. 1

This fall semester I was able to take an anatomy class with a cadaver lab. I've never been more intrigued and more grossed out at a single moment than in this class. First two labs I thought, I'm gonna love this class. It was so interesting learning about all the different parts of the bones in the body and even though it was a lot of hard work, I really enjoyed it.

Until the third week. That's when we had our first lab with the cadavers. The smell? I didn't mind so much. I've been on tours of hospital laboratories where they have literally every stinky smelly bacteria and bodily fluid you can imagine. But what I couldn't handle in my anatomy lab was the fact that these were humans. I saw body worlds when I was in my freshman year of high school. I remember thinking these are pretty cool. I wasn't bothered with the fact that the cadavers were humans, they looked like plastic. But the cadavers in the lab didn't look like plastic. They looked like humans. Real humans. The first lab I was so unprepared for the cadavers that I thought I was going to pass out all class. Class finally ended, I washed my hands in the lab room, left for the bathroom to wash my hands again and then...

I puked.
My body literally could not handle it. For the next several weeks it took a lot of self control to not pass out or puke. I finally thought that I was getting used to seeing cadavers. Until the one week when we pulled out the hearts, the most central part of the body. My anatomy TA just plopped the heart and pair of lungs on her lap. I don't think I've ever felt so sick in my life. Even worse than the first anatomy cadaver lab.

So I've switched my major. Goodbye science, hello geography. More specifically tourism studies.


1 comment: